- I finally broke down and bought my Michigan license plates this week. They say “Michigan” on them. Not very clever. I’m going to miss my Indiana plates that said “In God we Trust.”
- Luke bought a new Sony PSP game station that he has been saving his money for. Pretty cool – it even connects online. So I think he should be playing Madden ’10 on it, while his mom has him checking to see if he can read his online homework site. But I still love her.
- I drive 50 miles each way to work and hit three stop signs and one traffic light. That’s just one traffic light more than I had to deal with on my 1 mile commute of the past six years.
- The bad news is that the city of Detroit is approaching an unemployment rate of 30%. The good news is that rush hour traffic isn’t as bad as it used to be. On the serious side, I have heard two more stories this week of people out of work here in Detroit. So many people are having an incredibly difficult time. Reminds me to be grateful for all the little ways that God has blessed me.
- Saw a patient and her husband as part of my chaplain job yesterday. She’s fighting cancer – but so positive. And then her husband spoke up, “I try not to ask the Lord for too much because He’s already given me so much already.” He’s the same guy who said this about his wife of 51 years. “I know you’ll send out aides to help me take care of her, but I don’t really need them because if I’m the one to take care of her I’ll get to be with her the whole time.” And to think that I was supposed to be the one encouraging them.
- I was driving home from work last night and my dashboard lit up with the word “deck.” I had no idea what that meant as I didn’t even know my car had a deck. I had to get out the manual and check it out. Seems I bumped the trunk release with my knee so I was driving with it unlatched. If I had been the engineer who designed the car I would have had the light read “trunk.” Just saying.
- Today there was conversation going on in the cubicle next to me with two other believers who work where I do. The first mentioned that she went to Highland Park Baptist Church. She was talking to a guy who goes to Oakpointe Church – a church that Highland Park planted twelve years ago. I go to Mosaic Church – a church that Oakpointe planted this fall. Isn’t that how it’s supposed to work?!
Filed under: Random Thoughts